Apples seem to be the one fruit that is the easiest to make a variety of desserts from. Most of these recipes, you can normally substitute a can of apple pie filling. This is not one of those types of desserts. This dessert requires fresh chopped apples. You could do slices, but I found the diced apples allowed a piece of apple in each and every bite.
The sides were crispy and the inside of the cake was moist and tasty. Each piece had the cinnamon and brown sugar topping and was full of apple pieces.
My first attempt found that the recipe I had was too small for my slow cooker. The end result was a little tiny cake. I wanted something thicker and fuller. I doubled the recipe and tried again. This time, I had a thick cake that was still full of flavor and apples.
More recipes like this:
Linked up at Pinch of Joy
Crock-Pot Apple Cinnamon Cake
Apple Cinnamon Mixture
- 1 1/2 Cup granny smith apples washed, peeled,cored and diced
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated White Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 1/2 Cup Light or Dark Brown Sugar packed
- 4 Teaspoons All Purpose White Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Cup all purpose flour Plus 4 Tablespoons
- 1 Teaspoons Baking Powder Plus 1/4 Teaspoon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 4 Tablespoons Milk
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, sour cream and milk.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly stir this into the larger mixing bowl until the batter forms.
- Line a casserole slow cooker or a 5 qt or larger slow cooker with parchment paper. Spray cooking oil on the parchment paper.
- Pour the batter into the slow cooker.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the ingredients for the apple cinnamon mixture. Slowly spoon this apple mixture over the top of the batter as evenly as possible.
- Next in a smaller bowl, mix the ingredients for the cinnamon topping. Spread this mixture on top of the apples as evenly as possible.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or until the sides are golden and the middle has set.
- Remove the parchment papers by pulling up on both sides. Allow the cake to cool. Slice and serve.