I love the taste of fresh sweet blackberries in the summer. We have a local friend that has an acre of bushes that produces these nice big blackberries that are great to eat off the vine or baked in a blackberry pie. This is my adult beverage made with those berries Crock-Pot Blackberry Moonshine.
After the liquid has cooled and I add the liquid to mason jars, I like to add a few fresh blackberries to each jar. The alcohol makes the drink shelf stable and will keep those berries fresh. And, when you do drink the beverage, the berries are tasty to eat!
This recipe can also be made on the stove top. Add the sugar, water and blackberries to a medium size stock pan and heat to just before it starts to boil stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and allow the liquid to cool completely. Use a cheesecloth and strain the liquid to remove any larger pieces or seeds. Mix in the Everclear (or Vodka) and pour the liquid into quart or pint size canning jars. Secure lids and rings. Store in a cool, dark place until use. Shake before drinking. Remember this is a strong alcohol drink and caution should be used when drinking. The alcohol makes this shelf stable but you can also store it in the refrigerator. The longer this drink sits, the better the flavor will be. 30 days is recommended.
Everclear Pure Grain Alcohol is a type of hard liquor that can be found in the Midwest. Some areas do not sell Grain Alcohol. You can also use Vodka and the drink will have a similar flavor. Vodka is also a lesser proof.
More recipes to try:
Crock-Pot Black Raspberry Moonshine
- 3 Cups Water
- 3 Cups Granulated White Sugar
- 6 Cups Blackberries
- 2 1/4 Cups 190 Proof Everclear Grain Alcohol or Vodka
- Add the water, sugar and blackberries to a 5 qt or larger slow cooker.
- Use a potato masher and mash the blackberries in the liquid.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and allow the liquid to cool completely.
- Using a cheese cloth, strain the liquid to remove all the seeds and bigger pieces of fruit. You want to make sure you get as much of the fruit juices out as possible.
- Once the juice has completed drained through the cheese cloth, add in the alcohol and stir.
- Add the beverage to glass jars with lids and store in and store in a dry dark place for at least 30 days.