Crock-Pot Brats and Sauerkraut are full of flavor and one that you just have to have for your next party!
This is one of those easy recipes to make that everyone will enjoy. I have used the regular brats, beer brats and the brats with cheddar in them to make this recipe. I did not see a difference in taste for the beer brats and the regular brats. The cheddar brats are my favorite type of brat and I like the extra flavor they bring to this recipe with the hard cheddar pieces in the brats.
After adding the ingredients to the slow cooker is a good time to make the sauce up. Use a fork or a hand whisk to mix the ingredients well. Store in the refrigerator until you use. I like to serve with a spoon or a knife so you can spread the sauce on nice and thick on the inside of the bun.
A little trick to cooking with sauerkraut, I like to rinse my sauerkraut with water before adding to the slow cooker. This helps remove some of that sour taste and smell that comes from fresh sauerkraut without removing the flavor that you want.
More recipes to try:
Crock-Pot Brats and Sauerkraut
- 10 Brats
- 2 Large Sweet Onions sliced
- 14 oz Sauerkraut rinsed and well-drained
- 3 12 oz light beer
- 10 Hoagie Buns split
- 10 Swiss Cheese Slices
- 3/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup Chili Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Onion finely chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Sweet Pickle Relish
- 1 Clove garlic minced
- 1/8 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Brown the brats in a skillet or on a grill and add to the crock-pot.
- Top with onion and sauerkraut. Pour beer over the brats.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 8 hours.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the ingredients for the sauce.
- Add a slice of cheese to a hoagie bun and top with a brat, sauerkraut and a little sauce. Enjoy!