Crock-pot French Onion Soup
This is by far one of the easiest and tastiest soups to make. Soup is always tasty when the days are cold but this soup is especially good when one starts to feel a cold coming on. This soup always makes me feel better.
One tops this soup with a slice of French Bread topped with melted cheese. I have eaten this with many cheese variations. I have had this topped with Provolone, Swiss, Parmesan, Gruyere and Mozzarella cheese or a combination of these cheeses, all melted and all tasty when mixed in with a spoonful of the French Onion Soup.
Tips for making this soup:
- I prefer to use Sweet Yellow Onions for this soup. I like the flavor of the yellow onion over the white onion.
- Use a combination of two cheeses on top of the French Bread. Sliced or shredded cheese will work.
- Only top the soup with the bread before eating. Store leftover soup in an air tight container separate from the bread. Spoon leftovers in a bowl before eating and top with bread and cheese before you heat it up.
- Like more onions in your soup? Do not be afraid to add more. More onions just makes the soup more tasty.
Crock-Pot French Onion Soup
Crock-Pot French Onion Soup full of flavor and topped with bubbly melted cheese and French Bread! Easy to make and delicious.
- 3 Large Yellow Onions peeled and sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Light or Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 6 10.5oz Canned Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 Whole Bay Leaf
- 1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
- 6-12 Slices French Bread
- 1 Cup Shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Parmesan cheese
- On the stove top in a medium skillet, heat the onions, garlic and brown sugar until the onions are caramelized.
- Add the cooked onions, beef broth, garlic, bay leaf and thyme to a 4 qt or larger crock-pot.
- Cover and Cook on LOW for 5 hours.
- Add soup to ovenproof bowls and top with a slice or two of French bread.
- Top with a mixture of both Parmesan and Swiss cheese.
- Place the bowls on a cookie sheet and put them in the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and slightly brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!