My youngest loves meatball sub sandwiches at the local Subway. It is the only thing she will eat there. And, the only thing she eats on it is the meatballs, a little of the sauce and a slice of white American cheese. I love that she will eat a sandwich but I do not love the price of eating out.
This is my homemade version of the meatball sub sandwich. Slow cook the meatballs and sauce in a crock-pot and then ladle the meatballs and a little sauce into a hoagie roll. Top with some cheese and toss in the oven on broil to melt the cheese and you have lunch (or dinner).
You can use your own homemade meatballs or use frozen meatballs. I find that frozen meatballs are convenient and pretty tasty! If I am in need of a meal for dinner or a crowd ( when you have kids, you have kid’s friends), I like that I can do this meal in a pinch.
More recipes like this:
Slow Roasted French Dip Sandwiches
Crock-Pot Meatball Sub Sandwiches
- 2 pound frozen Italian meatballs
- 1 28 oz crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 6-8 Submarine Sandwich Rolls
- 2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Add the first 6 ingredients to a 5 qt or 6 qt slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours.
- Spoon 3-4 meatballs into each sandwich rolls with some sauce. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Line each filled sandwich roll on a baking sheet. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted and bubbly.