Spaghetti is one of my families favorite dinners. My oldest loves to make it herself and has a system to make it on the stove top. It makes me happy to see her love for cooking begin to blossom. I enjoy having my children in the kitchen with me and love their input into our meals.
My daughter learned from a friend to add just a little brown sugar to the sauce. It adds a little sweetness to the sauce and enhances the flavor of the spaghetti just that much more. If this is not your cup of tea, leave out the brown sugar.
The biggest problem that people have when cooking noodles in the slow cooker, is over cooking the noodles and ending up with mushy noodles and a wasted meal. Each slow cooker cooks at a slightly different temperature. Keep this in mind when cooking with noodles and check your noodles periodically while cooking this meal. You do not want to overcook, but you also do not want hard noodles.
Change this meal up a little by adding in cooked Italian Sausage, chopped green peppers or even a few black olives. This of course depends on your families preference. Even adding in a cup and a half of shredded mozzarella cheese 30 minutes before the meal has finished will spice up the meal a little. Another slow cooker with frozen Beef meatballs cooked in spaghetti sauce will add flavor to any meal.
I always make a side of cheesy garlic bread to go with the meal.
More recipes like this:
- 1 Pound Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 24 oz Jar of Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 Cups hot water
- 1 Pound Spaghetti Noodles
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 14.5 oz Diced Tomatoes drained
- 2 Teaspoons Brown Sugar packed
- On the stove top, brown the ground beef and minced garlic. Drain of any drippings.
- Add the cooked ground beef, hot water, diced tomatoes, sauce, Italian seasoning, brown sugar and dried basil to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, add the dry spaghetti noodles. Bread the noodles in half prior to adding them. Then cover them with sauce.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for an additional hour or until the noodles are cooked.
- Serve with a side of garlic bread.