The key to this bread is to allow it to rise before cooking in the crock-pot. Slice the bread while it is warm and eat it with butter.
I am always up for a challenge to see what I can make in my crock-pot and what I can not. I haven’t found a recipe that I can not adapt to the slow cooker.
If your crock-pot is large enough, use an oven safe bread pan. This recipe will make two loaves if you use a bread pan. If not, you can line your slow cooker with parchment paper to allow for easier removal of the bread after it is cooked.
- Yeast can go bad. I always buy yeast in the jar and keep it in the refrigerator. Buy fresh or keep what you have in the refrigerator until you use it.
- If the yeast does not “bubble up” on the first step, then get new yeast and try again.
- There is no wrong or right to how long you let the dough rise. Just as long as it rises.
I love serving Crock-Pot White Yeast Bread as an added item for dinner. Kids love to eat it warm with butter on it and I just love that they will eat something I made!
Crock-Pot White Yeast Bread
- 4 Cups All Purpose White Flour
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Medium Egg
- .25oz Active Dry Yeast or one packet
- 1 Teaspoon White Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Warm Water
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast, 1 teaspoon white sugar, and the 1/4 cup warm water. Reserve to the side and allow the yeast to bubble up.
- Combine 2 cups of the flour, the egg, vegetable oil, 1/4 cup sugar, salt and one cup water in a bowl and stir well. Reserve the remaining 2 cups of flour for another step.
- Add the yeast liquid to the mixture and stir until the mixture has no lumps.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of flour and stir well.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow the mixture to rise.
- Once the dough rises, fold the dough in until it forms a ball.
- Spray cooking oil on the inside of the crock-pot.
- Place the dough ball in the middle of the crock-pot.
- Cover and Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or until the bread bounces back to the touch.
- Serve with warm cinnamon butter or jam.